Thorough to the point of obsessive

As I was visiting with Dr. K once a week and trying out the different therapies, I became obsessed with trying to find “the answer” or “the cure.”  I thought I would research and read and pin my way to healing if I just found the right source.  I can promise you that never happened.  I did find many books, articles and websites that I found reassuring and helpful, but I have since realized that they were just a small part of my journey.  They comforted me and made me realize I was not alone.
Perusing the shelves at a bookstore while vacationing with the family

Nighttime reading - not a great idea...


Helpful Resources I’ve Found…


Books - there are so many books out there… I am limiting the ones I am recommending to three that were suggested by Dr. K.  


The Four Agreements (by Don Miguel Ruiz and Janet Mills) is a life changing book based on four basic principles.  It is an easy read, and a great way of living to which I now aspire.  The agreements are: Be impeccable with your word. Don't take anything personally. Don't make assumptions. Always do your best. I highly recommend this book for anyone!


Breaking Free of the Victim Trap (by Diane Zimberoff) I read and related to many of the case studies and found helpful.  I did feel good when I finished reading that I found that without even knowing it I had broken the cycle for my children.  Gave me some encouragement in a very dark period.


Codependent No More (by Melody Beattie) introduced me to the concept of codependency, of which I was not so familiar, but I highlighted and underlined and studied this book like I was an overachieving college student.  I am currently reading it through for the second time.


Articles:
There are so many articles out there - I found many that I could really relate to, and many that had the capability of driving me even crazier (I am not passing those ones on to you).  




http://themindunleashed.org/2014/07/7-things-remember-think-youre-good-enough.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrea-wachter/depression_b_6894546.html
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/21/mindfulness-based-cognitive-therapy-treatment-chronic-depression-antidepressants


Pinterest
Pinterest is a wonderful place to find information and an even better place to waste time.  You can find information that is helpful or hurtful… you can be inspired to improve yourself or you can wallow in your sadness but feel comforted that you are not alone.  After months of pinning to two separate boards, I am happy to share the one that I find helpful and uplifting… as of right now it has over 500 pins, but I do plan to have it grow!




If you have any resources you can recommend - please comment!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts