Obviously I am still (a little) in denial

OK, let me be the first to admit… I really thought when I started this blog it was because I was “on the other side” of my depressive episode and was going to be able to reach out to others to share my story and help the world.  I truly believed that I was “all better” and that my four weeks of a program mixed with therapy and a 12 step program had me fixed.  I was strong… I am woman hear me roar!  Happy music blasted from the radio in my car - so maybe my family is getting sick of Bruno Mars’ “You Can Count On Me” and Kasey Musgraves’ “Follow Your Arrow” - the improvement was worth it!  

A few days ago I wrote about several of my friends leaving my school at the end of the school year.  Well today the end of the school year arrived and a few of my friends worked their last day.  I talked to Dr. K last night and shared the feeling that I am getting sad, and very scared about falling back down.  We talked at length and she assured me that being sad about the loss of co-workers that I love is normal and I can be upset.  But coming so soon after my depression it would be difficult and I would need to work hard to keep myself from slipping.   I spent last night and this morning preparing myself and really putting the effort into keeping my shit together.  
Proof: my message on my new chalkboard wall

And it worked… at least for most of the day.  The kids came and left at noon… I said goodbye to many of them and then gathered with friends and colleagues for a get-together in the cafeteria to celebrate milestones of people who have worked in the building for 5,10,15 etc. years.  This year was the first one for me!  In many ways I can’t believe I have been at this school for 5 years and how my life has changed in the course of that time!  The tech staff created a video for each person to be recognized and mine was incredibly special to me.  It started me tearing up for happy reasons - the first time I’ve cried in several weeks, but I pushed back the tears and kept it together.  Then we said goodbye to four people ending their term at our school, I started to get sad, but again I shoved those feelings down. With one more hour left in the work day, most of us headed back to our classrooms to begin (or continue) packing/cleaning.  Upon entering my room I quickly turned on the lights and queued up the music.  I thought I’d be able to stave off the melancholy feelings that were coming fast.  As you probably predicted by now - I was totally wrong.  Tears streamed down my face.  It took me several minutes to catch my breath.  I felt completely ridiculous and immediately got mad at myself.  

But then I did a few things differently than in the past. I went upstairs to give one of my friends a hug and say goodbye in person.  Next stop was in a different friend’s office to get a little perspective and support.  On her suggestion I left school early and sent a text to Dr. K who had specifically told me yesterday that she was there if I needed her.  I decided that she wouldn’t have said it if she didn’t mean it - and a few minutes later I received a phone call.  With tears pouring down my face I listened to her rationally explain that I am still recovering;  That it is okay to cry when I am sad, but when I am ready to stop grieving my loss I might have to implement some skills I have learned to change my thought process.  First thing I needed to do was make sure that I chose to dwell on a happy part of my day, the beautiful tribute, rather than let myself be pulled down by the negative portion.  A few deep breaths and some reasoned out thoughts that I need to cut myself some slack and I was able to make it dry eyed into Costco and Marshalls.  I did my returns and didn’t even stop for samples or shopping therapy.  I have always known deep down how hard I am on others, and especially myself, but I don’t think I realized how this can  impact me negatively… but I think I shed some new light on that concept today.  I’m not sure what made me think that I have some sort of superpowers and would be able to fully recover and be as strong and stoic as I want to be so quickly.  I think I have to learn to somehow embody author Elizabeth Gilbert’s advice: “Embrace the glorious mess that you are.”  Starting today!

Comments

Popular Posts