Proud beyond words



Continuing the fight!


Today as millions of people marched around the world for a variety of reasons. Many of my friends and family members marched locally and in cities around the country to support each other, the rights of so many, and to show that there is strength in numbers.  It was inspiring to see the masses come out to join together and support one another. And as proud as I am of all of these people, there was a “protester of one” today that dwarfed them all.  And that was my daughter.

This morning, she stood in front of a crowd of maybe 50 people and delivered a dvar torah (a talk based on this week’s torah portion) which linked the stigma of mental illness to the story of Moses. The presence she showed as she addressed the congregation was incredible. Sophie shared words that we collaborated on, but made them all her own. Sharing her personal story (of my depression) and voicing the approval so many need to help battle the scary perception of mental illness is not so easy for anyone. And at twelve years old she did it so well, it was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop. There were few dry eyes in the house and I think she made an impact stronger than she can ever realize. This is hopefully the beginning of a lifelong love of supporting and standing up for others.

Today was the start of many journeys for many people and my daughter did her part to help people hold their heads high and support those who can’t do it on their own. Although I can’t take credit for all those marching for human rights around the world, I can for this amazing young woman. My smile this afternoon is genuine.

Comments

Popular Posts