An amazing (and mostly relaxing) spring break

On the eve of returning to school I am feeling a need to reflect on my spring break. It was a rather odd one.  We started off with 8am dentist appointments for my daughters and myself; however, I am happy to report it was uphill from there (after I pleaded for forgiveness from them for waking them up on the first day of break).

The next event worth sharing - or that I even remember - was a Passover Seder at my parents’ home with 30 other people squeezed around a U shaped table set up in their living room.  This is an annual tradition that most of our family simultaneously loves and hates. I would sum it up as a beautiful, delicious yearly religious event (?) that is both crowded and often semi-controlled chaos. This year was no exception. When we arrived the seat that I was originally headed for, since most were already taken, was in the inside of the “U,” lucky for me, my mom saw the look on my face and the anxiety of being trapped in the middle of everyone and offered me a spot that would allow me breathing room. I love that she now knows and looks out for me and assists me in navigating stressful situations (thanks mom!). After eating way too much and laughing more than I probably should have the meal was over and we headed home.

Then last Saturday I flew with my 9 year old for a 5 day visit in Chicago with some of my most amazing cousins (which I would say even if they weren’t going to possibly read this post).  This trip was three years in the making - my daughter got sick when we went for her 6th birthday and unfortunately it took this long for me to be able to healthily travel alone with her again. I can now confirm it was worth the wait. Our flight out was relatively easy and we landed on time and my cousin was waiting there for us (after I expressed some uneasiness about navigating the train to her apartment).
Incredible view from the apartment!
The next four days we spent most of our time hanging out with all our relatives and eating tons of ice cream and other junk. It was wonderful to be with them with no stressors. I loved going with the flow and not having to make many decisions. I didn’t even blink an eye when I realized that I had left the underwear I meant to pack on my bed at home in Atlanta - an emergency trip to the T.J. Maxx on the next block solved that problem. In the past that’s the kind of thing I would have beat myself up about.

Sunday we slept in and then ate our way through the city and proudly report that at least we walked and walked and walked as well. On Monday, Little Bit and I ventured out to the Lincoln Park Zoo by bus. Spending some time with her alone in the beautiful weather was a highlight of my trip. After that we ate some more and continued hanging with family. I absolutely LOVED watching my daughter bond with the cousins that I adore. These relationships are extra important to me. That evening was spent eating and drinking at a BBQ restaurant during a hockey playoff - not where you’d expect to find me, and I enjoyed it immensely.

The van Gogh exhibit at the Chicago Art Institute had been at the top of my list of things to do on this trip (other than the obviously aforementioned spending time with cousins). My excitement was somewhat dampened almost immediately by a whining 9 year old whose feet were hurting and we ventured on. The timeline on the walls of the entry to the exhibit made me more emotional than I could have expected (you can access it here - http://extras.artic.edu/van-gogh-bedrooms/timeline). Seeing photographs of the hospital and asylum rooms that van Gogh spent time in really got me thinking of how lucky I am to be living in 2016. He died at the age of 37. His mental illness was debilitating and consuming and there was little understanding or medication to help ease the pain he must have experienced. I was saddened by all the thoughts racing through my head and they definitely impacted my viewing of his amazing artwork. My cousin took Little Bit back to her apartment and allowed me time to wander alone in the museum which was alone time that was much needed.

Another fun night spent giggling and talking (and yes, eating) and we made the most of it. On our last day we squeezed in an extra visit with one of my favorite girls and then headed for the airport. By train. By ourselves. Which ended up being the easier leg of our trip! I can’t remember if I have mentioned before that I am not such a great flyer (my husband and the rest of my family could tell stories), and our return flight was bumpy enough that the flight attendants remained seated for the entire flight - for their safety! Little Bit sat calmly on one side of me and I didn’t want to ruin her ease.  That meant the poor woman who probably regretted choosing the aisle seat next to me got an earful. I had taken my ativan and it seemed to do NOTHING (although I probably would have been even worse without it). So I kept myself busy by talking to her. She tried to close her eyes and rest and I continued talking. Yes, I was that person that everyone dreads being stuck by on the airplane.  To be fair, I did tell her the truth by way of disclaimer. When we landed safely in Atlanta I am not sure which of us was happier!  

All in all I can honestly say our Chicago trip was a roaring success.

Spring break continued for another few days and the only part I feel necessary to share is about my stint as a Dance Mom. Yes, you heard that right. My older daughter is a wonderful dancer and loves it. Unfortunately, or fortunately, for her I am not the rhinestone wearing, makeup applying, crazed mom that I probably am supposed to be. I did wake up at 4:45 on a Saturday morning to drive an hour away to watch her and her friends perform in a dance competition.
On the highway at 5:30 am on a Saturday (at least there was no traffic)
The lights went down and the overly chipper and energetic announcer was off and running BEFORE 7AM. I sat alone in the theater and felt the need to shout and clap extra hard for all of the girls from our studio. I imagine it sounded to them like one hand clapping. Other dancers had 50+ people hooting and hollering for them, I think I was the only boisterous shouter among our group. The atmosphere at the competition was exactly how you would imagine it… reminded me a lot of Little Miss Sunshine. My sarcasm and snide comments could not be held back and I was happy that a friend and the dance teachers each hung with me for a little while to hear them. The rest had to stay in my head and I did a lot of tongue biting. And I would do it all over again for the smiles and joy I saw on my daughter’s face at the end of the day. I will admit it was a privilege to spend time with her and the rest of her dance company (I had not done that before) and get to know the girls she loves so much. Driving home in the torrential downpour after a 14 hour day I realized that my spring break was coming to an end (as I knew today would be a wash which it was) and that I can share that it was a meaningful and wonderful one.

Here’s to five more weeks of school and more breaks like this one!

Comments

Popular Posts